During the last decade, production and import of nutritional supplements, natural and botanical products have been increased. Therefore, since 2005 this laboratory has been established as a subdivision of FDCRL to guarantee the health and safety of these products.
Ph.D. in Pharmaceutics
Ph.D. in Traditional Pharmacy
M.S. in Nutrition
Samples which are tested include: Natural products, Nutritional supplements, Sports supplements, Traditional products, Whole milk powder, Baby special food, Prepared like baby food, Infant formula, Milk powder, Probiotic products, Metabolic products.
Apart from routine duties, this laboratory performs other tasks such as:
- Research and Development of processes for isolation, extraction and purification of products.
- Identification and determination of active ingredients based on the documented traditional medicine and valid pharmacopoeias.
- An investigation into the role of production and packaging of medicinal plants, extracts and oils, for launching them to the traditional and industrial market
- Promoting the quality and safety of products through the modification and revision of instructions and guidelines
- Inspections of counterfeit and smuggled supplements that referred by relevant competent authorities
- Evaluates and assesses post-marketing activities for nutritional supplements and botanical products (PMQC)
- Preparation of guidelines and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for evaluating the herbal products.
- Compilation and review of SOPs for natural products and herbal supplements
- Conducting training courses for researchers and experts in pharmaceutical industry field, university students and apprentices
- GLP inspection of manufacturing companies laboratory to improve their quality levels
- Collaborating with universities and relevant academic centers on conducting in-house research projects
- Developing the process and executive methods in order to control natural products including plant parts, animal origin or mineral products toward verifying systematic nomination and source of primary
- Contaminations control, Comprising pesticides, preservatives, aflatoxines, heavy metals and control the cross contaminations
Analysis and tests
- General evaluation of various dosage forms (viscosity, organoleptic properties and pH)
- General evaluation of solid dosage forms (dissolution, disintegration, hardness and friability)
- Fats and fixed oils general analysis (acid value, peroxide value, Iodine value and saponification matter)
Identification and quantification of vitamins and minerals (titration, atomic absorption, spectrophotometry and HPLC)
Identification and quantification of botanical active ingredients (GC, TLC, spectrophotometry and HPLC)
Total protein content (Kjeldahl method)
Amino acid quantitation (HPLC)
Determination of fatty acid profile (GC)