Microbiological laboratory is one of the important technical department of FDCRL which focus on the detection of pathogenic bacteria and enumeration of some microorganisms based on the latest version of ISO methods. The majority of samples that referred to this laboratory are foodstuff and cosmetic and hygienic products derived from post-marketing surveillance (PMS), claim and complaints.
The microbiological laboratory consists of 2 working groups:
- Food Biotechnology & microbiology including:
- Microbiological control of food & beverages
- Milk powder, Food Supplements & Probiotics control
- Instrumental Equipment
- Cosmetics & hygienic, Disinfectants and molecular methods, including:
- Cosmetics & hygienic
- Molecular methods
- Infection Control, Health & Safety
Ph.D. in Microbiology, Biophysics, & Biotechnology
M.S. in Microbiology, Health & Food Safety, Microbial Biotechnology
BSc. in Laboratory Sciences
Associate Degree in Food Industry
Apart from routine analysis, the laboratory is responsible for inspection of accredited, collaborated and governmental laboratories, holding plenary and practical workshops, collaboration with INSO (Iranian National Standard Organization) in preparation of national microbiological standard method and characteristics are the most important duties of this laboratory. Detection of other microorganisms like viruses and prions and the establishment of cutting edge instrumental and automated methods is the oncoming project of the microbiological laboratory.
Analysis and tests
- Detection of Salmonella, E.coli, Enterobactericea, Staphylococcus aureus, Enterococci, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Yersinia enterocolitica, Campylobacter Jujeni, Listeria monocytogenes ,Brucella,Cronobacter sakazakii, Fungi, Probiotics.
- Enumeration of Enterobactericea, Staphylococcus aureus, Bacillus cereus, Clostridium, Fungi, Probiotics by gold standard culture, pure plate, MPN, filtration and molecular methods.
- Antibiotic screening tests and Antimicrobial effectiveness
These tests are performed on the samples which received from IFDA.
Receiving samples includes:
Natural products, Nutritional supplements, Sports supplements, Traditional products, Whole milk powder, Baby special food, Prepared like baby food, Infant formula, Milk powder, Probiotic products, metabolic products, foodstuff, all types of water, antimicrobial and disinfectants, cosmetic product, hygienic product, microbial toxins.